Music Distribution Checklist
Everything You Need to Sell & Stream Your Music Online
You only get one chance to release a new song or album, so you want to do it right.
Here’s what you’ll need to properly distribute your music worldwide:
Music Distribution checklist
1. An artist name: This is the name you release music under. It could be your given name, a band name, or a moniker. If you’re releasing music for the first time, Google your artist name to make sure it’s not already being used by another group or artist.
2. Any other primary or featured artists: This info will be included in the metadata
sent to digital music platforms, and help your music reach those other artists’ audiences.
• Primary artists are the main artists on a recording. Often there is only one
primary artist (for example: Ed Sheeran), but occasionally music is released with
multiple primary artists listed. This is done when two or more artists that do not
usually work together collaborate on an album or single (for example: Robert
Plant & Alison Krauss). Multiple primary artists for a release are also referred to
as “compound artists.”
• Collaborators who DO work together on an ongoing basis can enter their
“band name” as a single primary artist (for instance, “Brooks & Dunn” or “Simon
• “Featuring” artists are those who collaborate on specific tracks, but who should
not receive primary artist billing for the release.
related : how to promote youtube video online
3. The song titles: Because songs need titles, just like babies need names.
4. The album title: Your name for this collection of songs.
5. The songwriter & publisher info for each song: In order to ensure that digital music
services are paying publishing royalties properly, and that all songs are correctly
licensed, you will need to provide:
- the names of the songwriters for each track (including cover songs)
- the names of those songwriters’ publishers (if applicable)
- the “splits” for each songwriter (the percentage of a song that each songwriter
6. Additional metadata: Digital music services like Spotify and Apple Music need to
know if your recording is a live version, a cover song, in the Public Domain, or has
7. High-quality audio: 16-bit WAV or FLAC is ideal (in stereo, at 44.1kHz sample rate).
No crappy MP3s!
8. Cover artwork: Must meet these requirements:
• 1400 x 1400 pixels minimum; 3000 x 3000 pixels maximum
• PNG, GIF, JPG, or JPEG file type
• 72 – 300dpi (300dpi is the best)
• Less than 25mb
• RGB color scheme (not CMYK)
• must not contain social handles or any other promotional links
9. UPC code: This a product identifier code that differentiates your music in the
marketplace and aids in proper accounting. we also provide you with a UPC code when you distribute with us
10. ISRC codes: These are song identifier codes, essential for proper tracking of
activity and payments in the digital music world.
11. The release date: When do you want your music to drop? You get to set the date
that your new release becomes available.
12. Pre-sale date: Do you want your fans to be able to purchase your music on iTunes
or Amazon ahead of its official release? Set that up at least 30 days in advance.
13. Descriptions of your music: To describe your music, what it sounds like, and who
it’s for, compile the following things:
• Written blurb about your music
• Genre designations
• Suggested moods
• Sounds-like artists (also sometimes referred to as RIYL or
“Recommended If You Like”)
This information will be useful for both distribution AND promotion.
14. A payment method: How will get paid for your sales, streams, etc.? Make sure to
set up either a PayPal account or a checking account.
15. Your label and copyright information: If you funded your recording or created
your music on your own, YOU are the label and copyright owner. If another person is
claiming ownership of the sound recording, they should be listed as the label and
Get the most revenue streams for your music! With COGMUSIC You will:
• Distribute your music to 150+ stores (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.)
• Make money from your music on YouTube and Facebook
• Get free major label marketing tools
Distribute music worldwide with COGMUSIC!!
If all these are ready then you are ready for Music Distribution!!!